Friday, February 17, 2012

Free Thought Fridays (Issue 6)

I got an orchid for valentine's day. For only the 3rd time in my 31.5 years on this planet (yeah that percent is pretty terrible - let's not even think about it.) It's starting to look pretty pathetic though - I don't really know what to do with flowers/plants but to water them...how am I allowed to have animals? Maybe it's best I don't continue to receive flowers.

I got kicked out a bar for only the second time in my life last weekend (and I don't remember the 1st instance except that I somewhat remember ordering a gin gimlet - I don't even know what's in that. yeah, I was WASTED.) Let's hope that I am not shunned from the Ale House for all eternity.

Not only did DMB tour dates get announced this week (I'm only going to 2 stops this tour - shocking I know) but I also figured out when & how long I will be in London this summer. I'm pretty sure I will be out of NYC more than in it for the month of July. Making vacation plans to do SUPER FUN AWESOME things is getting me so excited for this summer. Plus it's helping me forget that it's only February.

It's such a shame when amazing, hardworking, talented people I know get shit on. Working in the arts is a tough, no-fucks given business.

The first few pieces of music I remember owning were: 45s of Wham! "Wake Me Up (Before You Go-Go), Stevie Wonder "I just called to say I Love You" and cassette tapes of the following: Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen, Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas Album, The Dirty Dancing Soundtrack and Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All". I'm pretty sure the cassettes (except for the Chipmunks) all belonged to my Mom before I 'borrowed' them but I remember hearing Whitney at a young age and being in awe of her voice. In 3rd grade, some girls and I made up a dance to do at a school talent show to "I wanna Dance with Somebody" (which I'm pretty sure consisted of us 'step-touch'ing, putting our hands in the air and turning a lot) but we thought we rocked since we were dancing along to Whitney's awesome vocals and that catchy beat. Then in the early 90s, I was slightly obsessed with The Bodyguard soundtrack (don't judge). Whitney's ability to turn a song into a hit was magic. She really had an amazing gift and we were all very lucky to experience it. She was an icon, a diva, a voice of a generation. Her legacy won't soon be forgotten. Thanks for the memories and wonderful music, Whitney.

No comments:

Post a Comment